- “What is one to say about June, the time of perfect young summer, the fulfillment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.”– Gertrude Jekylll
- The summer solstice, also known as midsummer or June solstice, is a magical day. The sun rises north of east and sets north of west, giving us our longest day filled with warmth and sunlight.
Many festivals and celebrations are held in honor of the summer solstice, people coming together and partaking in what seems like an endless day. But how can you make it a part of your personal practice, as well?
I have compiled several magical facts and tips to help you take full advantage of this enchanted day. What phase will the moon be? Which chakras will be most energized? Which poses will be most beneficial? What does all of this mean?
When: June 21, 2015
Where: The Northern Hemisphere
The waxing crescent represents youth and growth. It is the moon of fertility. This June solstice will be great for love, feeling youthful, and moving forward with any new business ventures.
- June 21 was declared International Yoga Day by The UN General Assembly in December 2014. Though the solstice does not always fall on the same day, this date was chosen in its honor. It’s believed that there is a natural support system during this time for those pursuing their spiritual paths.
- Stonehenge actually marks the moment of the summer solstice, when the sun reaches its most northerly point.
- Throughout history, in many different cultures this has been a time of celebration and spiritual growth. Many would collect their medicinal herbs on this night as it’s believed that they have higher potency when gathered during the solstice.
All of the chakras would greatly benefit from the energy available on this day. However, the root, heart, third eye and crown chakras may be particularly alert at this time, ready to be aligned and ignited.
Root Chakra – Aids us in feeling more grounded. This is a day to be out in nature. Get your hands in the dirt, do yoga in the park, pick strawberries, wildflowers and herbs. Best Poses: Mountain, Bridge (try palms flat rather than interlacing the fingers)
Heart Chakra – Strengthens our hope, love, and compassion. Hope and love are incredibly important in fertility, whether it be literal or simply the birth of a new idea or relationship. Best Poses: Fish, Camel, Sphinx
Third Eye and Crown Chakra – I have combined these because they can be affected similarly on this day. Both represent the divine self and psychic consciousness. This is a powerful time for psychic dreams and connecting with the spiritual world, as Shakespeare showed us in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, nothing is what it seems on this powerful day. Best Poses: Child’s Pose, Lotus
Use the energy of the summer solstice to hone in on what you most want and need. Everything will be working with you rather than against you, so take full advantage. One warning: be especially aware and prepared on this day. Another side of the solstice is that it’s somewhat off balance and confusing to the biological clock, so drink plenty of fluids, steer clear of negative energy, and have a calming sleep aid ready, such as: warm honeyed milk or chamomile tea.